Home of happiness.
Our coffee is loved.
Our stores are warm and inviting.
But without our people, we just wouldn’t be Costa.
Together we turn sips into experiences and frowns into smiles.
Together we turn choices into opportunities and passions into careers.
Click below to see your desired job role
Job Title: STORE MANAGER
Reports to:– Area Manager
Total responsibility for the running of the store, ensuring that every customer receives an unbeatable coffee experience.
To Champion Optimum group culture and embed this within the team.
● Takes ownership of the results and success of the store. Leads the store team in all aspects of delivering an unbeatable coffee experience to every guest, all of the time.
● Takes accountability for adhering to all aspects of health and safety within the store – for customers, team members and external visitors, and keeping up to date with legislation and business guidelines relating to this area.
● To take overall responsibility for delivering brand standards at all times, by ensuring that the store is opened/closed and operated in line with all Costa standards, policies and procedures.
● To take overall accountability for managing the stock and order systems for food & consumables ensuring that the store has 100% supply of items for the customer whilst delivering the budgeted margins/profit.
● To analyse and act upon financial / performance data to enable the store to run in the most efficient & profitable manner.
● To ensure the effective control of labor.
● To ensure that all company policies and procedures are in place and carried out when maintaining cash & stock security.
● Hold regular team meetings to communicate all key information and implement new initiatives to the store team in the most effective way using the most appropriate media including team meetings, shift briefings, Massimo, What’s in Store, communication toolkit/posters, shift planner.
● To deal with and resolve customer complaints in line with company policies/procedures.
● To ensure the store has a robust succession plan in place.
● To carry out regular and effective 1:1’s and reviews with all team members.
● To recruit, train, coach, develop and retain the team members to ensure that they deliver brand standards and unbeatable customer experience as well as achieving their full potential.
● To ensure all marketing updates and new POS are implemented and maintained effectively.
● To work with area/peer group to share best practice and support the Area Manager with other activities within the business.
● To prepare for input into regular business reviews with Area Manager
● Previous management experience.
● Worked within a customer-facing / hospitality environment.
● Passionate about the brand.
● Experience of managing a budget – labor and key controllable costs.
Skills and qualities:
● Exemplary role model – a true professional.
● Passionate about delivering great customer service.
● Ability to lead a team through motivation and engagement.
● Excellent communicator and can delegate effectively to the team.
● Takes ownership for results.
● Strives to be the best – looks to exceed targets.
● Good planning and organisational skills.
● Good coaching skills and ‘inclusive’ style.
● Reliable and committed.
● Flexible approach.
● Honest and open.
● Willing to learn.
● Uses initiative.
Reports to: Store Manager
Key Accountabilities: To support Store Manager in running the store efficiently and effectively and to deputise for the Store Manager in their absence.
To be a brand ambassador.
● To lead the team on shift to deliver an unbeatable coffee experience to every customer.
● To ensure the store is opened and closed, adhering to all Costa standards, policies & procedures.
● To ensure that all brand standards are delivered throughout the shift to ensure complete customer satisfaction. Completing all relevant Costa check standards, food & health and safety checks and taking all necessary remedial action or escalating as required.
● To ensure all cash & stock is kept secure and that all necessary action is taken to ensure the handover of stock & cash is done in a secure manner.
● To manage the stock and order systems for food & consumables ensuring that the store has 100% supply of items for the customer.
● To understand and monitor the store KPI report and translate it into daily action as agreed.
● To communicate on a daily basis with the team, using the deployment shift planner.
● To execute all aspects of deployment ensuring the effective control of labor and that every team member is deployed effectively.
● Delegate appropriate tasks to the Barista Maestro and team.
● To be part of the team and undertake the ‘Capo de Café role’ as required.
● To deal with and resolve customer complaints in line with company policy/procedures.
● To support the Store Manager in organising and delivering team meetings. ● To train & coach team members and required to support them in delivering their roles effectively.
● To support the Store Manager with completing regular 1:1s for team members.
● To assist the Store Manager with recruitment using the official recruitment tools.
● To implement marketing updated and new POS as directed by the Store Manager
● To keep up to date with company policies.
● To perform all tasks as defined in the Barista & Barista Maestro’s Job Description.
● Worked within a fast-paced customer-facing / environment.
● Supervisory/management experience.
● Barista Maestro accredited.
● Has worked in Hospitality/Retail industry.
Skills and qualities:
● Energy and enthusiasm to deliver outstanding customer service.
● Passionate about the brand.
● Ability to engage the team.
● Ability to work within both a team and individually.
● Reliable and committed.
● Honest and open.
● Good communication skills.
● Eager to learn.
● Shows initiative.
● Enjoys responsibility.
● Friendly manner.
Store and Assistant Manager
• To lead shift in the absence of the Store Manager and Assistant Manager, opening and closing the store to the standard required by Costa.
• To train and coach all Baristas in delivering the unbeatable coffee experience to all our customers.
• Must be an accredited Barista and completed Barista Core Skills training workbook
• Completed Coffee skills Workbook and been signed off by a Barista Maestro or Store Manager
• Desire to take on extra responsibility
• Full knowledge of Costa standards
• Strong communication skills – verbal and written
• Good organisational skills – ability to plan coffee excellence training Desirable:
• Experience of running shifts
• To lead shifts when assigned by the Store or Assistant Manager ensuring that all Costa policies and procedures are followed
• Understand the WINcard and COSTAcheck, Listen and Learn, Health and Safety and CMI and undertake audits and checks as required by the Store Manager
• Enable team members to understand and deliver all of the standards in the Coffee Excellence section of the Costa Check
• Train and accredit all new team members to Barista level using the Barista Training Workbook and ensure that all accredited Baristas receive and wear single silver barista bean pin
• Review monthly Coffee Excellence scores, communicate actions and updates regularly at team meetings
• Brief team on any changes to drinks recipes and the launch of any seasonal drinks
• Coach and support the team throughout shifts to ensure all drinks are delivered to Costa brand standards
• Identify any gaps in training and organise training as appropriate
• Support On-Job experiences in store
• Opening the store/preparing for the shift to brand standard
• Closing the store/completing the shift to brand standard
• Deploy the team effectively according to the trading pattern of the store and complete the daily shift planner
• Checking the quality of the espresso by accurately measuring & recording the grind & dose
• Ensuring that all coffee equipment is in good working order; report any faults to the Store Manager
• Ordering consumables/food
• Accepting deliveries
• Cash management March 2013
Skills and qualities
• Passionate about Coffee
• Passionate about training and coaching
• Brand Ambassador
To display pride in your Costa by confidently delivering the perfect cup of coffee to every customer with a genuine smile
Experience of having worked as part of a team Desirable:
Experience of having worked in a customer facing environment
• Friendly and approachable
• Ability to communicate and work confidently as part of a team
• Flexible, and willing to exceed expectations to deliver fantastic end results
• Cares about the product, team and customers; and treats others the way they would want to be treated
• Delivers great coffee with genuine style
• Open and honest with an enthusiastic willingness to learn
• Reliable and committed
• Ability to use initiative, and work without close supervision
• Proud to wear the Costa uniform, presenting a professional image at all times
• Arrive for your shift on time, with a positive can-do attitude
• Ability to multi-task and perform varying duties throughout the store
• Takes a genuine interest in the business
Key accountabilities for
• To complete and pass any company provided training required for the role
• To attend team meetings as required
• To deliver the highest levels of customer service that encourages positive customer feedback and sales
• To maintain standards of health, safety and cleanliness across the store in line with the cleaning schedules
• To be knowledgeable and confident about all products demonstrated by advising customers and answering queries
• To produce and prepare all products in line with brand excellence standards
• To safely and accurately maintain stock
• To drive sales by replenishment of display/fridges in line with the provided guidelines and procedures
• To operate the till in line with cash handling procedures
• To attend work in accordance with your designated shifts